Sunday, March 25, 2007

Excerpts from My Pioneer Journal (journal only)

My Trip with Martin Murphy

May 8, 1844
Dear Journal,
My friend gave me you so that I won’t be bored. We bring the lightest stuff we can, but still be able to survive for a long time. I think we’ll meet a friendly Indian or two. I brought 10 stuffed animals, a sewing kit, and an assortment of books.

June 9, 1844
Dear Journal,
The Platte River was medium to cross. My dad made a log raft to pull us across. Our horses loved the cross. I did, too. I love so much that in the middle I jumped off and swam across the rest of the way. It took us one hour, but it took the whole train one week to cross.

July 12, 1844
Dear Journal,
I’ve liked the trip so far. When I first saw the Indians I stuck out my head and smiled. I feel excited to keep going. I had vegetables for dinner. I went away before something happened around the campfire except eating. I think the rest of the trip will get more and more exciting, fun, and adventurous.

August 14, 1844
Dear Journal,
The Rocky Mountains are the biggest mountains I have ever seen. They are spectacular. All the animals I’ve seen so far were ones I don’t know the names of. The Indians have treated us well. They gave us stuff but wouldn’t take anything in return. I have tasted many new things on the trail. My dad has shot animals for everybody to eat.

September 16, 1844
Dear Journal,
I thought I was going to die of thirst. I only had two drops of water a day! When I saw the river, I jumped in and drank and drank and drank. Some cups were taken by the Indians in the night. I think that they took the cups because they are so poor.

October 23, 1844
Dear Journal,
2 animals are left for pulling wagons. I had to leave my favorite pot because it was too heavy. It was very cold outside. I was so cold that I was all wrapped up. I have jerky left. I felt happy when I neared the end of my trip and when I saw Ft. Sutter.

[ During this project, I learned the vital skill of keeping your thoughts short and concise. I think that I learned that talent a little better than my teacher had intended, but I think I have grown out of that too short phase. Even if I no longer keep m writing this short per assignment, the ability to do so in certain circumstances is incredibly useful and this writing assignment taught me to vary lengths depending upon the assignment. I may have slightly misjudged the length the entries should have been, but at least I didn't ramble on and on for 1000 words each time.]

1 comment:

waterfalls said...

What a great project.